GORE-TEX® garments are built to last, and with proper care they will continue to perform superbly for the length of their life. In this guide we take a look at how to best maintain the GORE-TEX® fabric.
Routine care will ensure the excellent performance or GORE-TEX® and extend its life. Here are some tips to help you:
Washing GORE-TEX® Garments
- Before laundering your garment, zip the front closure, pockets and pit zips completely, and fasten all flaps and straps.
- Machine wash on a warm cycle (105º F/40º C) using a small amount of liquid detergent (such as Nikwax Tech Wash®). Do not use powder detergents or any products that contain fabric softeners, conditioners, stain removers or bleach as they will affect garment performance.
- Rinse twice, minimise spinning to reduce creasing.
- Do not wash with heavily soiled clothing.
- Do not use chlorine bleach.
- Do not Dry Clean GORE-TEX® Garments
Drying GORE-TEX® Garments
- Line dry your garment, or tumble dry it on a warm, gentle cycle.
- Once it is dry, tumble dry your garment for 20 minutes more to reactivate the durable water-repellent (DWR) treatment on the outer fabric.
- If unable to tumble dry, iron the dry garment on gentle setting (warm, no steam) by placing a towel or cloth between the garment and the iron. This will help reactivate DWR treatment on your garment’s outer fabric.
Reapplying Water-Repellent Treatment
When the factory applied treatment can no longer be reactivated, apply a new water-repellent treatment to the garment’s outer fabric. An example of this NikWax TX Direct Wash.
To apply wash-in waterproofing:
- Clean item(s) first with Nikwax Tech Wash® in a separate wash cycle. (No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing).
- Remove all detergent build up from the detergent dispenser.
- Place maximum of 2 clean garments in washing machine.
- Use 100ml of NikWax TX Direct Wash per garment.
- Run machine on a 30°C synthetic cycle with a slow spin.