Whatever your level or fitness, the right pair of shoes is the most important bit of kit for all runners. A good pair of running shoes will be comfortable and more importantly will support your foot and absorb the impact when your foot hits the floor, reducing the risk of injury.
Here at Wiggle, we have a wide range of running shoes to cater for every kind of runner but we understand that the choice can be overwhelming. Don’t worry though – our team of Wiggle Run Specialists is here to help. All you need is a Facebook account so that you can join a live chat. Your Run Specialist will spend as much time as you need to get to know your running style and goals so that they can make a suitable recommendation.
‘Gait Analysis’ is a way of assessing how you run. When you talk to our running specialist they will ask you to send a 30-60 second video showing you running at a normal and steady pace, preferably on a treadmill, from the hips down. If you don’t have access to a treadmill, then pick a straight segment of a flat road or path and run for about 40 metres towards the camera.
- The video should be recorded horizontally, either with your smartphone or a camera.
- It should show images from your hips down to the ground. We need to clearly see your hips, knees and ankles.
- Try to record it as steady as possible and focus on the lower body.
- We'll need to see you running towards and across the camera.
- If your smartphone has a slow-motion mode, this helps our advisors in their analysis.
They’ll be able to use this video to assess your running style and recommend the right pair of shoes.
In this video, Run Specialist Joan tells us more:
Besides the video, your Run Specialist will ask the following, so make sure you have the answers to hand when you get in touch:
- Your height and weight
- How long have you been running?
- How many times per week?
- What distances?
- Goal or race ahead?
- Any recent injury to bear in mind?
- What shoe model and size are you currently using?